It’s finals season, so I’ve been too tired to really cook this weekend. Luckily, I made two recipes last weekend with my friend and photographed them both. Maybe next week I’ll make a cake or something to celebrate turning in a group paper that’s currently holding my weekend hostage. But in the meantime, I can enjoy the memory of these sweet, sweet old fashioneds. The only special tool we used was a muddler, which is kind of a blunted stick you use to smoosh up ingredients. You could also use a spoon or something though. Anyway, I used this recipe as a base but added extra fruit. Enjoy!
(makes one serving)
- 2 orange wedges
- 2 morello cherries*
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 oz (1.5-2 shot glasses full) bourbon whiskey (we used Knob Creek)
- Official Mad Men Playlist on Spotify
*The original recipe called for maraschino cherries. But Trader Joe’s didn’t have maraschino cherries, and also maraschino cherries are kind of gross. Have you ever seen how they’re made? Yuck.
1) Put on your Mad Men playlist. This step is very important, as it sets the mood for the whole process.
2) Mix water, sugar, and bitters in a glass.
3) Add cherries and one orange wedge, muddle ingredients into a paste.
4) remove orange rind, pour in bourbon, fill glass with ice (or half-full with ice if you used a big glass like we did), and stir.
5) Garnish with remaining orange wedge, sip while you work at your desk and hit on the secretary, Mad Men style.