I don’t know how I’ve gone my entire life without trying migas. It’s apparently a very popular breakfast dish in the southwest, and now in my apartment. The non-vegan version uses eggs instead of tofu, but I’d say this version turned out to be pretty spectacular. I used this recipe to learn how the regular non-vegan version is made, then switched it up to make it vegan. And omg guys I don’t think my life will ever be the same.
(makes 4 servings)
- 1/2 package firm tofu, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped (I used yellow onion)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (and with seeds removed if you CAN’T HANDLE THE HEAT)
- 1 package shredded vegan cheese (I used a “fiesta blend” of pepperjack and cheddar. So fun!)
- 1 Tbsp non-dairy butter (I use Earth Balance)
- Canola oil (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional, but recommended)
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- 1 whole ripe avocado, pitted and diced (for garnish)
1) Drain your tofu–I always start with this step when making a tofu dish, because It’s better to get alllll the water out. First, I squeeze it over the sink to get all the water out. Then, slice it, and put it between two towels, and place a heavy book on top. Let it press for at least 20 minutes as you prepare the other ingredients. You can store the rest of the tofu in a plastic baggie or container with some water.
(Clearly I’m putting my recipe book to good use…)
2) Chop up all of your vegetables, keeping the tomato and the jalapeño separate as they will be added separately.
3) Take a moment to mourn the pepper family you just murdered. They had high hopes for their little son Peño.
4) Now, fry your tortillas. Fill a large pan with about 1/4 inch of oil, and heat on medium high. Add your tortilla pieces and fry them for about 30 seconds or until golden and crispy, then flip them over and fry on the other side for about 30 more seconds. When they are done, remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and set them aside.
5) In a large skillet, heat butter and about 1 tablespoon of oil on medium high heat, and add bell peppers and onion. Heat for about 2 minutes, then crumble in tofu and continue to cook until vegetables begin to brown but aren’t too soft.
6) Add tomatoes, and heat for about 30 seconds until tomatoes are warmed up. Then, toss in the tortillas and jalapeño, and reduce heat to medium. Gently fold mixture over with your spatula so all ingredients are combined.
7) Lastly, add your “cheese” and continue to gently fold the migas until the cheese is melted. Add salt if extra flavor is needed.
8) Remove from pan with a slotted spoon to drain any excess liquid, garnish with cilantro and fresh avocado.
Enjoy!! It’s sooooo good you’ll never wanna eat anything else ever again.