I bought a huge thing of strawberries on impulse and was immediately faced with the reality that I probably wouldn’t be able to eat them all before they went bad. So of course the natural solution was to make a pie. I know I know, two pie recipes in a row, but hey it’s my blog and I’ll pie if I want to (pie if I want to). I got the inspiration and the recipe for the pretzel crust from my dear friend Meghan, who is also my food blog mentor. It’s kind of like a graham cracker crust, but with pretzels instead of graham crackers, and it creates this fabulous sweet and salty effect. I adapted the recipe for the strawberry cream filling from this recipe.
VEGAN STRAWBERRY CREAM PIE
(makes 1 9in pie)
- One pre-made crust (see below)
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese (I used Daiya brand)
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries + as many strawberries as you desire for garnish (I used 7)
- 5 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
1) Combine all ingredients (except for the crust and the garnish strawberries) in a food processor until well combined.
2) Pour mixture into pre-made crust and allow it to chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Slice the tops off of the remaining strawberries so they have a flat base to sit on. Remove pie from fridge, garnish with remaining strawberries, and serve!
(makes 1 9in pie crust)
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, softened (I used Earth Balance brand)
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups crushed pretzels
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) Crush the pretzels by putting them in a plastic bag and using a rolling pin, or putting them in a food processor. I started with the rolling pin method but then my weak arms got tired so I switched to the food processor.
3) Mix the pretzels, brown sugar, and butter in a bowl until well combined. If the mixture seems too crumbly, add more butter or shortening.
4) Press the mixture into the bottom of a pie pan, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Allow crust to cool, then fill with strawberry (or other) pie filling!
I’m obsessed with this pie. It will be my breakfast and dessert until it disappears.